Sunday, May 13, 2007

Devotions with my daughter


I was doing devotions with my daughter tonight and the verse that I posted in my title is what the devotion was about. Its something that I have been dealing with over the last six months or so. I thought it so fitting as to what I need to do in my life. I need to look ahead to my future and to stop looking back and dwelling in the past. I cannot change the past, but I can make the future...my future the best that it can be if that is where my focus is.

Bury the Past (Phil 3:13)
Nobody's perfect, and Paul admits that. But he's not wasting any time on regrets and guilt over his past failures. He wisely concentrates all his attention and energy on making a total change in his priorities. He clings to what is truly valuable, both here on earth and for eternity.

You may have things you want to forget too. Maybe you totally blew your speech in reading class. Or you tripped in the bleachers and fell on top of a crush-worthy boy. Or maybe a memory that tortures you is more serious. Perhaps you let somebody down in a big way or - like the apostle Paul - you have really hurt someone.

We all make mistakes and do things we aren't proud of later. Even after we ask God's forgiveness, the guilty feeling can linger. But you can't change the past or control it in any way. Do keep the lessons you learned, but forget the incidents and the emotions attached to them. The best way to do that is to focus on your future, both here on earth and in heaven to come. Focus on growing in godly values, and forget other things - both past failures and past successes. Nothing on earth compares to knowing Jesus better and better each day.

Whatever happened before today - good or bad - is in the past. Concentrate your energy and thoughts on what lies ahead. You'll see improvement over past failures, but even more important, you'll look forward to the truly priceless victory over death and an eternity with Christ.

Now obviously this is taken from a young girls devotional book...not my own (I don't think I ever tripped over the bleachers in front of a crush...atleast not for many, many years..haha) but it was exactly what I needed to hear. Its funny how even a children's/tweens devotional can speak to us parents. I love that about God...He'll get us any way that He can!!

5 comments:

starla said...

hey, welcome back! is this a private blog or can I put your link on my blog?

Melissa said...

That is a wonderful devotion. So true how God speaks to us. Welcome back. Happy belated Mother's Day!
Love, Melissa

Unknown said...

Great to see you are back. I have missed seeing your updates on your blog. Talk to you later. Karen

Christy said...

That is awsome Tanya! Not a coincidence that you read that devotion with Syd! Keep pressing on!

floron@shaw.ca said...

I love you sis. I don't say it enough. Your journey has inspired me and I find myself looking to you for strength and encouragement. You are a blessing and I thank God for you LOTS!!You are my best friend! Miss you.
holly

 
Designed by Lena