Thursday, November 6, 2008

Today so far...

Well I had an interview today. Not for the job I applied for in my last post...that one I don't think I'll even get an interview for because its with the school district as a teacher's assistant and it goes by seniority...I've never ever applied before and there are alot of people that have worked casually over the years as teacher's assistants that would get first dibs before I would even be considered...oh well...tis life.

I was interviewed today as a support worker at our local women's shelter. I think the interview went quite well even though it was about an hour long! Very casual and laid back though for the most part. I think if I do get the job...it will be a very rewarding job even though I know it will be very emotional at times too. I think it will definitely be an eye opening experience thats for sure. I'm very thankful to have not had any abuse in my family or my relationships...I haven't seen "abuse" that much...but I can only imagine what one goes through...both men and women. I'll know by maybe tomorrow...or for sure by wednesday if I got it (wednesday because of tuesday being a holiday...so people are taking off monday as well). At first I'd be casual...but if I got on permanently then I would be able to take some more training for the job in Vancouver! So that would be nice...maybe this is the direction I should be going in as far as a career...we'll see. I think I'll enjoy it more than working in a home for the simple fact that I can talk with the women and be a listening ear/sounding board without the guilt of having to get to the next person asap like you do in a seniors home. While I was in school...we were told that in the seniors home...we are for the most part their family because alot of them don't have family near by, or none at all...but really, we never got the time to visit with them much...so many times I would have a resident wanting to just vent or wanting to just talk...and I couldn't because I had so many other things to do...it bothered me to tell them that I had to go when I knew that all they wanted to do was just visit for a while because they were lonely. I have to say that is one of the things I disliked the most about working there...just not having the time to actually "CARE". Sure I washed them up, changed them, made sure they were fed...that they had all their physical needs...but I couldn't be there for them emotionally and I hated that. So I'm thinking that this may be more my thing...I guess we'll see, I have to get the job first!

So now I wait...

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena